Wednesday, March 7, 2012

I'm Starting a Blog?

A Family Picture for my Family Blog

Okay, here it goes - I am actually starting a blog! I don't have anything against blogs - I spend a lot of time reading other people's blogs; I just never thought that I would take the time to start writing a blog of my own. I mean really; what do I actually have to say that is important enough for anyone to read???...


So, why am I doing this? Well, I have been reading the book "52 Things Kids Need From A Mom," written by Angela Thomas & number 24 on the list is "To Keep a Family Blog!" After I read her chapter on why you should start a family blog, I decided that blogging might be a good idea for me. After all, my twins are almost 3 and I haven't even come close to creating baby books for them! I figured that a blog might be a good way for me to keep track of important family moments so that the twins can read about them later.


Another reason for the blog is, of course, something my Mother ALWAYS says: "you should write that down; you are going to forget it." Seriously, she says that about every little thing that the twins do,  about every crazy case that I have been involved in during the last 2 years of medical school, about every silly party or business idea that I have, about every goofy thing that happens on family vacations....well, you get the point - she says it about almost everything! Well, what I have found to be true far too many times than I want to admit is that she is actually right! I was looking over some of my old Facebook pictures & I have forgotten so many things that I truly wanted to remember forever. I can hardly remember the month that the twins spent in the NICU, what it was like to compete at the US Figure Skating Championships, my wedding, and so many more very important life events. So, this blog is sort of like a living scrapbook for the twins to look at later!


So, there it is, my first blog post. I know, my closest friends are still stuck on the fact that I am reading a self help/parenting book. The truth is, I actually read a lot of them! My strongest desire in life is to be the best me that I can possibly be & to be an amazing mother while doing it! (I have other desires too, don't believe me, just look at my Pinterest boards.) I must note that I do not intend to keep this blog going just for my family members, I also intend to use it as a way to keep in contact with my friends all of the world. After all, family is not always composed of people who are blood relatives, but by those who hold a place in your heart!






Things that my mom would say  "you should write that down" for today:

(1.) The twins had their 1st ever swimming lesson today at Elite Aquatics Center! I didn't make it to the lesson, but it is probably better that way since they NEVER do anything but hang on my legs when I take them to their classes. The nanny, Nicie, reported that Molly did a great job & that she did everything that the teacher told her to do, including blowing bubbles & kicking in the water! She said that Ben was doing well too until the teacher poured water on their heads.... Oh well, maybe he will like it next week! The 1st thing he said to me when I got home was "I wasn't nice today" and when I asked him why he said "I told the teacher, NO NO NO." Kids are too fun!

(2.) My BFF in the entire world passed away last week. It was my dog, Tiffany. She was a tea-cup maltese that I had purchased with my 1st ever paycheck. I had earned $500 for filling in at an ice show in Chicago for a pair team that was injured & I took that check and bought myself a dog! Tiffany was an amazing friend; she traveled all over the US with me and has been there through thick and thin. When I put a post on Facebook saying that we had to put her to sleep I got 24 comments and 10 text messages over the next 12 hours! I am not writing this so that I don't forget the dog or the posts, but so that I don't forget that Molly finally asked where she was. Explaining death to a 2 year old was not something that I was quite ready for, so, I paused & told her that she was with God now & that we would miss her, but that she wasn't coming back. She looked at me & said "louie too?".... Louie is our Yorkie, who is NOT nice to the twins, so I thought that this comment was way too funny!

 Tiffany & Brian

Little Louie

(3.) The patient of the day: I am on cardiology this month & I saw a very touching patient this morning that I never want to forget. I can't use her name or anything, since it is against HIPPA, but I can share her story. The patient is a very lovely, 36 year old mother of 3. I know, a 36 year old with heart problems! Her problems are heartbreaking (no pun intended). She was born with a condition called transposition of the great vessels. In this condition the vessel that carries oxygenated blood from the heart to the rest of the body is flip-flopped with the vessel that brings un-oxygenated blood to the heart from the body. When she was 2 years old, she had open heart surgery to attempt to fix the problem. The surgery did help her to reach the age of 36 & to have 3 beautiful little ones, but the surgery was not a complete success. 34 years ago, medicine wasn't quite what it is today! This sweet mommy was able to work a full time job until a few years ago when her heart condition starting to interfere. She lost her job, and therefore, her health insurance. Now, she is lying in a hospital bed in desperate need of a heart-lung transplant, but it is not covered by her government health insurance! Talk about, bad luck. I feel so bad for this girl, and for her children. If anybody, has any ideas for a fund raiser, or some way to help her out - I would LOVE to hear it!


No comments:

Post a Comment